Ever Wonder? Where Does the Fat Go?

We all have a goal.  It’s universal and ever present.  GET RID OF THE FAT!  For some it may be belly fat, others may wish it away on the thighs.  Wherever it is, we want it gone! Because I’m so sure that together we are going to be successful this year, I thought it might be fun to explore the science of where it goes when it finally leaves that trouble spot on your body.

When we “burn” the fat, where does it go?

Maybe we sweat it out? Digest it? Absorb it?

Those are the obvious guesses, but think again.  We actually exhale it.

The fat is stored in your body in the form of triglyceride molecules, which consist of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen.  When you lose weight, your triglycerides break up into building blocks.  This process is known as oxidation.  So when we think about “burning” fat, we are actually thinking about oxidation.  Oxidization takes in the oxygen molecules and the waste is the Carbon Dioxide and water that you exhale.

Ruben Meerman and Andrew Brown of the University of New South Wales in Australia conducted a research study which concluded that during weight loss, 84% of the fat that is lost turns into carbon dioxide and leaves the body through the lungs. The remaining 16% becomes water.

When you exercise, you exhale large amounts of carbon which means you are burning fat.  This year, let’s take time to “exhale”.  Whether you are in Pilates and Yoga class, strength training or stepping up your cardio, just remember, every exhale brings you one step closer to your goal.

Looking for new and exciting ways to “exhale”?  The Zero Gravity Fitness team is always here to help.


Live well and breathe deeply,

Sara Acioli


For more scientific information on the Ruben Meerman and Andrew Brown study visit:




Like us


Follow us